September 2012
Post European Masters

My last blog was composed while I was slightly under the influence of some fine French wine , celebrating Paul’s victory at Gleneagles. I only managed four hours sleep , before the alarm clock sounded , and I was heading to Edinburgh airport to catch my flight to Geneva. This was then followed by a two hour train journey to Sierre,  then a forty minute bus journey up the mountain to Crans Montana, Home of the European Masters.  Needless to say, I was knackered…..No rest for the wicked though…The tradition on tour is that if you win a tournament you buy everyone a drink, and I had drawn the short straw , as Crans Montana is one of the most expensive venues on the European tour. Nevertheless , I was on the bell , and it’s amazing the number of new friends you have when your player has won…..

Paul wasn’t arriving until Tuesday night  , so I had a leisurely stroll round the course. We had an early pro-am time on Wednesday morning  , so the rest of Tuesday was spent resting. Our pro –am preparations didn’t get off to the best start….The driver that Paul had used to great effect all season , cracked on the range , so I had to run down to the Taylormade van to get a replacement.. ten minutes later , we had a new driver , combined with the old shaft… isn’t technology just amazing!!!

Chippie was a bit jaded after  the win in Gleneagles , and didn’t play too great in the pro-am , so he rested after the round , saving his energy for the tournament. On Thursday we got off to a steady start with a two under 69 , followed by a lovely 66 on Friday , leaving us just a shot off the lead . This was even more impressive , as we got soaked for the back nine , as the weather  turned sour , and we nearly got snowed upon , as we could see the snow falling on the mountains above us. We made it round safely , but the round had taken over 5 hours , so Chippie and I headed straight to the nearest restaurant for dinner. I offered to pay , but the boss was having none of it , passing the fancy credit card to the waitress , as his new Hublot  watch twinkled on his wrist  “Dinner’s on me!!”  One minute later…”I’m sorry Sir , but your card has been declined” I nearly fell off my chair… “Hmmph… That’ll be in your blog I take it….” Of course..HawHaw.

Saturday was a long day , as fog delayed our tee time by two & a half hours. We eventually  finished at 7.15pm , shooting 3 under , and maintaining our position , just a shot off the lead. I waited at the locker for Chippie , who took longer than usual , so I assumed he was doing some media stuff. Eventually he arrived…”What kept you?” , I asked. His reply…. “I’ve just been fined £1000 for swearing yesterday.. Can you ******* believe that” …..Aye , I could…

For the final round on Sunday , the weather was perfect. We were in the last group , playing with Danny Willet and Ritchie Ramsay , who led  by a shot. Paul got off to a flyer , eagling the first hole to tie for the lead , but unfortunately , fatigue from winning the previous week eventually took its toll , and we couldn’t keep up the momentum.  Add that to some fantastic play from Ritchie Ramsay , and an amazing double win wasn’t to be. Chippie rallied towards the end , and we finished in 6th spot , which was still a very good week. Ritchie Ramsay thoroughly deserved his victory , and it was another huge boost for Scottish golf , with back to back wins on tour for Scotland…We now have 3 lovely weeks off to recharge the batteries and prepare for what promises to be one of the biggest weeks of the golfing year…. The 2012 Ryder Cup… Doesn’t that sound good…..Yeeeehaaaa!!!!