Paul Lawrie

Paul's Blog











November 2010
Wednesday 24th November 2010
I have been struggling with jet lag since getting home from Hong Kong.   By 6pm I can't keep my eyes open then at 1am I'm wide awake.   I have managed to hit balls the last few days at Deeside (today in a blizzard)   I have also been on the school run most days.
Monday 22nd November 2010

2010 Season

This year has again been disappointing and it looks like I will finish 69th in the order of merit and miss out on the race to dubai again.   I have been poor mentally and I've struggled with the putter but the positives are that I have hit it more consistently and have improved my ball striking but we all know it's the head and the putter that's the most important things.   My season was going ok up until the Scottish Open but I really struggled in the second half of the year.   I will be working hard over the winter on all aspects of my game so that I'm ready for 2011.

Sunday 21st November 2010

Hong Kong Open 4RD 68+70+68+68=274 (-6)

It's a funny old game......I hit it awful today and putted awesome (26 putts)   I shot 68 to finish on  -6 for the week.   I played with Stephen Gallacher who played lovely and holed nothing for a 69.   I fly home tonight at 11.30pm through Heathrow.   It would have been great to be heading to Dubai for the end of season finale but unfortunately I have not been good enough.   At least I can cheer myself up by watching the Dons!!

Saturday 20th November 2010

Hong Kong Open 3RD 68+70+68=206 (-4)

I'm really really REALLY sorry to my regular blog readers but I'm going to have to moan and bitch about my putting again.   I played lovely again  today and had 33 putts for two under.   I have been working hard on it so let's hope tomorrow is better.   The positives are the ball striking is very good and I'm hitting a lot of fairways and greens.
Friday 19th November 2010

Hong Kong Open 2RD 68+70=138 (-2)

Another very frustrating day on the greens (32putts) meant that I shot level par 70.   I gave myself a lot of birdie chances but couldn't get the putts to drop.   I finished up on two under overall which was the cut mark.    I've just got to keep at it and hope the putts will start to drop.
Thursday 18th November 2010

Hong Kong Open 1RD 68 (-2)

The alarm went at 5am this morning to catch the 5.30am bus for my 8.20am tee time.   I played nicely for 68 -2.   It was a beautiful day so I would imagine scoring will be low.   After lunch I visited the UBS tent for a Q & A with their guests which was part of the deal for receiving the invite.   I'm just back to my room after being in the gym for the last hour.   I'm now away to watch an episode of the Tudors on dvd.

Tuesday 16th November 2010
I headed up to the course early this morning to spend some time working on the putting.   I played 11 holes with Al Forsyth and Stevie Gallacher, Stevie won the money easily making quite a few birdies.   I had some lunch then hit balls for a few hours.
Sunday 14th November 2010
I flew from Singapore to Hong Kong last night, I had a quick beer with Al Forsyth then went to bed knackered.   We had an early breakfast then headed up to the course to practise.   I spent most of the day on the putting green working on my putting arc.   Al and I have been asked to play the pro am tomorrow as there is a big delay in Singapore and four players will not make it here in time.   So we are playing at 9am shotgun.   We are staying at the JW Marriott this week which is about 45 minutes from the course.
Saturday 13th November 2010

Singapore Open 2RD 73+72=145 (+3)

It was extremely hot and humid this morning when we restarted at 7.30am   I needed to birdie all four holes and got off to a great start by holing a six footer for birdie at the 15th but unfortunately I three putted both 16 and 17 and also bogeyed the last.   This week I had 68 putts for two days which makes it very, very difficult to make cuts.   I head to Hong Kong tonight and will spend days on the practise putting green.
Friday 12th November 2010
There was another delay to the tee times today so we didn't quite get finished.   We have four holes left to play tomorrow morning.   I am one under for my second round to be one over in total so I probably need to birdie the last four holes to have a chance.   I have hit it good again and struggled on the greens.
Thursday 11th November 2010

Singapore Open 1RD 73 (+2)

We had a four hour delay this morning for lightening so I didn't tee off till 2.10pm but surprisingly we just managed to finish before it got dark.   I played really nicely today but not for the first time I holed nothing.   I hit loads of iron shots close but couldn't get it in.   I finished with 73 +2 which is quite incredible considering the way I putted.
Wednesday 10th November 2010
I managed to get 4 hours sleep last night (result) was again wide awake at 3.30am watching dvd's (New Tricks)   I was on the 5.45am bus for the 7.30am shot gun pro am.   There were 25 teams so play was extremely slow which is never good when it's 38 degrees and very humid.   The course is in great condition with the greens running quite fast.   I came back to the hotel then fell asleep for a few hours (big mistake) as I felt awful when I woke up but it's so hard to stay awake.
Tuesday 9th November 2010
As ever the jetlag is a total pain, I fell asleep totally knackered only to wake up 2 hours later...wide awake at 2am.   Never mind, I took loads of dvd's with me.   I went up to the course even though it was bucketing rain, the course opened at 10.30am so I played 9 holes with Padraig Harrington, Peter Lawrie and Marcus Brier.   Padraig has a sore neck but he still hit it nicely.   It was good to play with him as we haven't played together for a while.   The course was a little wet but in great shape considering the rain.
Sunday 7th November 2010
A huge well done to Ritchie Ramsay this week, he looked very comfortable amongst the world's best.   I hit some balls at Deeside this morning then headed up to Cults to watch 3 of our Foundation teams play.   There was some very good football on show by PLF and the other teams....well done boys.   I managed to squeeze in some time in the gym before going to the airport for this week's Singapore Open.
Friday 5th November 2010
I had a very busy day today, I took the kids to school then went to my first RPM spin class at David Lloyd's which was really good, Marian has been going for a while.   I then drove down to Edinburgh, firstly to hit balls at Kingsfield with Stevie Gallacher and then I was speaking at the 275th anniversary dinner of the Royal Burgess Golfers Society.   It was good fun, my thanks to everyone who attended (you're no where near as stuffy as they say) and many thanks for the donation to my Foundation....much appreciated.   I arrived home at 1.30am totally knackered.
Thursday 4th November 2010
Marian and I left early this morning to drive to Glasgow for the funeral of Anne Lloyd wife of former Scottish PGA secretary Peter Lloyd.   Anne was a recorder on the Tartan Tour for over 20 years.   They were both very good to me when I started playing and have remained good friends ever since.   Anne will be missed greatly by her family and friends.
Wednesday 3rd November 2010

After dropping the boys at school (with long faces) I headed up to Nairn Dunbar Golf Club to open their new practise facility.   After cutting the ribbon I gave a 30 minute clinic followed by a Q & A session.   They have done a fantastic job building the new range, well done to David Torrance (pro) and all the members.   Craig and I managed to hit a few balls at Deeside before it got dark.   We're now off to Cove for our nephew Sean's 18th birthday party.


Tuesday 2nd November 2010

I had a meeting at the Marcliffe this morning with my management team and Derek Clements (journalist) who will be writing my autobiography.   It will be coming out next Christmas which is very exciting.   We had a good chat discussing how the book would be written etc.   In the afternoon I hit some balls and then went to the gym.  I was up in Fraserburgh in the evening to present the trophies at the junior prizegiving.   I did a Q & A which was good fun.   Well done to all the winners and the junior conveners for all your hard work.


Monday 1st November 2010
I dropped the boys at school this morning then hit balls at Aspire for a while.   I had my fortnightly crunch from Gillian Mitchell then headed into town to buy some dvd's for my two week trip to Singapore and Hong Kong.   In the evening Craig, Michael and I went down to the Sports Village to watch our PLF boys club train.   The boys were all loving it and it's great to see them all enjoying their football.   All four PLF teams won on Sunday, great effort lads.....keep it up.